Welcome to the Hanham Family website.
Friday, May 30 – Tallinn, Estonia
We were favorably impressed with the small but colorful nation of Estonia. It has not been very many years since they separated from the Soviet bloc and joined the European Union. There is a mixture of both old and new, as the country seeks to catch up with their western European neighbors. The parliament building is directly connected to one of the old Medieval Towers that formed part of the old city wall.
Nearby a new MacDonalds restaurant stands across a cobble stone street from another old Medieval Tower.
An ancient narrow cobblestone road leads down from the upper city to the lower city.
One of the narrow gates from the old city wall still leads into the lower city.
Here we are overlooking the lower part of the old city of Tallinn.
The people of Estonia come together every 5 years for days of singing. Over ¼ of the population of the country gathers together and participates in the Song Festival. Nearby is the Tuletorn Lighthouse which is only lit during the Song Festival. On the top of the hill slope is a statue of Gustav Ernesaks who was an initiator and general leader of the Song Festival for nearly 50 years, including keeping it going during Nazi occupation times.
Here we are posed in front of the Tallinn Russian Orthodox church (built in the late 1900’s).
Nearby we visited St John’s Estonian Evangelical Lutheran church which was built in 1867.
The Estonian army was holding military exercises near the city center.
We saw the Tallinn Holy Spirit church which was originally constructed in 1319, although there were significant renovations in the late 1600’s. It had a clock in the wall that dated back to the 1700’s.